Friday, May 24, 2019

Deafness

Deafness is not always noticed by we humans.  I have fostered a deaf dog (white boxer), and I have had older dogs go deaf over time. I read, and notice sometimes, that people complain or give up their dogs because they will not listen when in actuality they are deaf.  It is easy to test them to be sure.

Case in point, my Shanti.  She is not old (just turned 10) and is now completely deaf and I did not notice. She has never really "listened" and always ignored me (lol she is a trip), but lately it just seems worse.  I tested her a couple of ways and she couldn't hear anything, yet is not startled when I touch her from behind, and things like that. We have a routine and she follows it daily so it was hard to notice until my mom pointed it out.  Shanti hid it well (watches me closely), follows me everywhere, uses her sense of smell to find me, etc.

I am working on a few hand signals that I use with all dogs (they respond better) and continue to love on her big time.  With deaf dogs, the hardest part is when they are not watching (or get too far away) so you need to make sure they stay close.

Thus remember your puppy/dog could be deaf, partially deaf, slowly going deaf, etc., and watch for the signs : startled when you come in, follows you more, bewildered, won't listen to verbal commands, doesn't hear things (drop a loud object behind them), etc.  And be on the lookout to help others who may have a deaf dog and not know it. It happens more than you think.

Love on.

No comments: